This is the 'batch' or 'distribute' pattern that crops up in many fields.

The best path is normally to understand what the conflicts are, and where the time is spent. If in, this case, much time is spent in the preamble, and the actual inserts are quick, then diving down one time through the security layers and stuffing in 10 items is clearly better than 10 preambles, one for each insert.

The other truism is that all optimisation is for a single case. There may be different answers for different cases. Ideally a single parameter would be enough to tune the system for different cases.

Good luck Roche, with the outcome, I'm excited to see some figures.

--r.