On Jan 27, 2008, at 3:11 AM, Shane Hathaway wrote:

Thanks for this significant contribution!

Andreas Jung wrote:
Thanks a lot for the great work!
One question: what is the ZODB patch actually doing? Is it for optimization purposes? Is it specfic to RelStorage or does it provide some general ZODB improvement(s)?

The patch is intended to be a general ZODB improvement that enables ZODB to interact in a natural way with data stores that already provide MVCC semantics. It does this by allowing the storage to bind a separate storage instance to each ZODB.Connection, rather than attaching all ZODB.Connections to a single storage. The patch also allows the storage to provide object invalidations through polling.

I hope the patch, or a modified version of the patch, will be accepted for inclusion in ZODB 3.9. A monkey patch version is possible, but I'm trying to avoid that.

I'm tentatively planning on including it in 3.9. I need to review it carefully. I also plan to make other changes in the invalidation mechanisms, so I'd like to take this into account at the same time.

Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation