Hi there,

Ben Mason wrote:
We've come across the following problem: When trying to revert to an old
version of a page, we get a unicode error:

  Module Products.CMFEditions.ZVCStorageTool, line 505, in _encodeMetadata
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0x80 in position 0:
ordinal not in range(128)

All that has been done here is... Click Edit on the front page of a clean
Plone site, click Save. Go to the History tab and click on 'Revert to this
revision'

This doesn't happen if we're using the traditional Data.fs way of storing
data.

Anyone know what is going on?

I just had a look at this and am capable of reproducing it (on Plone 3.1.1) -- but also with filestorage! So it doesn't really look like a RelStorage issue to me.

Are you sure you are using the same Plone and CMFEditions versions when you are comparing the storages?

The reason for this error is that Products.CMFEditions.ZVCStorageTool,_encodeMetadata expects "comment" to be a string, but with the newest Plone it gets an unicode object.

Probably due to changes in CMFEdtions skinscript "revertversion.py".

/Anton