Ok so I dug deeper into this and found that our pickles don't have the class they just have the oid. Now comes the part where you will most likely say that I'm lame... :)

We are using an old version of zope 2.8.8 and our ZODB objects are Persistent (from Globals) not persistent. At the top of persistent_id I see this:

if not isinstance(obj, (Persistent, type, WeakRef)):
   # Not persistent, pickle normally
   return None

Which seems to imply that the mechanism described (oid, klass) isn't being used. Am I right in assuming that our lameness has saved us from the optimization problem pointed out in this thread?

-EAD