Hi,

On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 13:54 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
> Thanks again!
>
> (Note to everyone else, Shane and I discussed this on IRC, along with
> another alternative that I'll mention below.)
>
> I like version 2 better than version 1.  I'd be inclined to simplify
> and it and skip the configuration flag and simply publish an event any
> time we see a cross-database reference when saving an object.
>
> Here's proposed solution 3. :)
>
> - We add a flag to disable new cross-database references unless they
> are explicitly registered.
> - We add a connection method to register a reference:
>
>       def registerCrossDatabaseReference(from_, to):
>             "Register a new cross-database reference from from_ to to."
>
> - We arrange that connections can recognize old cross-database
> references.
>
> If someone accidentally creates a new reference and the flag is set,
> then transaction will be aborted.
>
> An interim step, if we're in a hurry to get 3.9 out, is to simply add
> the flag.  This would disallow cross-database references in new
> applications.  These applications could still support multiple
> databases by providing application-level traversal across databases.

I think I'm reading something incorrectly: is there an emphasis on
"*new* applications"? The flag would disallow the creation of
cross-database references for a given DB -- independent of whether the
app is new or old, right? Only depending on whether the application uses
a ZODB that has the feature and has it enabled. Right?

Otherwise, I'm +1.

Christian

--
Christian Theune · c...@gocept.com