On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Chris Withers<ch...@simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>>
>>  CVE-2009-0668 Arbitrary Python code execution in ZODB ZEO storage servers
>>  CVE-2009-0669 Authentication bypass in ZODB ZEO storage servers
>
> Where are the actual CVE entries for these? http://cve.mitre.org doesn't
> seem to know much about either of them...

These were reserved a couple of weeks ago.  My understanding is that
MITRE will update these based on our announcement.

>> The vulnerabilities only apply if you are using ZEO to share a
>> database among multiple applications or application instances and if
>> untrusted clients are able to connect to your ZEO servers.
>
> So if only trusted zeo clients can connect to the storage server (which is
> the only sane thing to do anyway, given that zeo is an unencrypted protocol)
> then neither of these is a problem?

Yup.  Note that some people probably relied on the authentication
protocol to allow wider access. Also, if someone was making a
read-only connection available, they'd be vulnerable.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton