On May 11, 2010, at 9:53 AM, Lennart Regebro wrote:

> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 14:47, Adam GROSZER <agros...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Probably that crappy data would make the unpickler fail... or wait a
>> second... the unpickler is a **SECURITY HOLE** in python, isn't it?
>> That means feed it some random data... and stay tuned for the
>> unexpected.
>
> That a bitflip would generate random data that actually did anything
> at all is a bit like if you shake a puzzle box and out comes a
> dinosaur and bites your leg. :-)
>
>> The thing is that a single bitflip could cause a LOT of crap.
>
> Mostly likely it would generate an unpickling error. But yeah, in
> theory at least you are right. I have no idea what the performance
> penalty would be, but a checksum would feel good. :)

Most likely a bit flip in uncompressed data is much worse as it will probably
pass unnoticed until it cause a major pain somewhere far away from where the
bit flip occurred, in this manner compressed data all the way to a zeo client
is better for a higher chance of fail-stop. I think, maybe :)

--
Leonardo Santagada
santagada at gmail.com