On 06/28/2010 04:44 AM, Nitro wrote:
> I do not like the current packaging approach as I discussed in length in a
> recent message to this list [1]. Until this changes I am not going to
> spend time creating random packages.

Around here, Python packages are how we communicate code.  Think of a
released package as a well-refined email.  If you choose not to release
packages, you are really choosing not to communicate through the
established channels, so many people will not hear you.  If you want the
largest possible audience to hear you, you should release packages, just
like you should use version control and bug trackers.

The packaging system works a lot better than you think it does.  You owe
it to yourself to learn Buildout, which solves the package versioning
problem you ran into.  In my experience, the ecosystem of packages we
have now is actually a good deal better than the Python standard library.

Shane