On 18/12/2012, at 2:15 PM, Leonardo Rochael Almeida <leoroch...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> through isn't possible. If it was closed and another connection opened then
>> the other modules that are outside of your control might have references to
>> stale data.
>>

>>> What I'd do is use a separate database other than the one Zope 2 is
>>> using.  Then you can manage connections yourself without conflicting
>>> with the publisher is doing.  Then, when you want to use the database,
>>> you just open the database, being careful to close it when you're
>>> going to block.  The downside being that you'll have separate
>>> transactions.

>>> It would probably be a good idea to lean more bout how erp does this.
>>> The erp approach sounds like a variation on what I suggested.
>
> Indeed, it's clear from all the proposed solutions (including DJ's
> reconnect after transaction end but before returning to the user) that
> you can't have, at the same time, a single ZODB transaction AND
> immediate user feedback, when depending on an external system.
>
> There's not much more to the ERP5 technique than what I already
> explained earlier. It boils down to:
>
> * take user input
> * store it as received with as little processing as possible
> * trigger background activities (as few as possible) for anything
> that requires looking beyond the object the user is currently
> manipulating and it's immediate vicinity (specially object
> reindexing).
> * return info to the user as fast as possible, including any info
> telling him to check back later if necessary.
>
>> It's not always possible as sometimes you need to feedback the result to the
>> user immediately.
>> Let's take another example. A Plone site with a page that lets you upload a
>> mp3 file and it guesses the song, then combines that with your preference
>> data to return other songs you might like. The guessing the song bit is an
>> external service and the preference data is stored in the same zodb as Plone.
>> To do it the ERP background task way you;d deliver back a page with some
>> javascript on it that polls the server to see if the song had been processed
>> yet. This isn't always desirable, esp if you have to avoid javascript.
>
> Avoiding JavaScript is possible with the same approach GitHub does
> when forking a repo: a meta-http-equiv-refresh message "we're
> processing your request. This page will update itself when we're done.
> You may refresh if it on your own if it makes you feel like you're in
> control".
>
> Providing user feedback is usually less tricky than coping with system
> restrictions. As long as the user is seeing something happening, and
> the system feels like it's evolving towards a solution, instead of
> seeming stuck, users tend to be satisfied.
>
> In your example, the user already waits quite a bit for his file
> upload to finish. Having him wait on the external system to handle the
> date could be a bit too much, better return some info to him and show

true you could do it that way for certain types of requests. The real life
situation I was involved with had a backend response time of between 1-3
seconds. Long enough to cause scalability issues on the server by running out
of connections but not too long that the customers were prepared to have a UI
that autorefreshed or used ajax, esp since plenty of other technologies don't
have this limitation (or has Jim pointed out, they do have this limitation but
it isn't as bad). Also if you are proxing another external application, then it
would be a lot of work to rework to make each page asynchronous.