Hi meem,

Peter Memishian wrote On 05/09/06 22:03,:
 > Yes, IPMP is IP Multipathing. Even if you have multiple addresses on
 > the same subnet on different interfaces, as you do, it does not
 > automatically enable IPMP.

Though the resulting configuration is unsupported and broken.  That
is, if you have multiple IP interfaces on the same link, they *must*
be configured into an IPMP group.  If you don't do this, you will see
duplicate broadcast and multicast traffic, among other problems.

The way you worded it confusing me.

Are you saying that if you have multiple interfaces on the same subnet, they must be in an IPMP group, or the config is broken? Or if you have multiple IP addresses (on the same subnet) on the same interface, it is broken? The latter does not seem so, but want to make sure

 > And I still get confused by that selection.... Back with interface
 > groups (pre IPMP), outbound traffic on would leave on the same
 > interface a connection came in on, but I'm not sure that is still the
 > case.

With IPMP, outbound interface selection is determined in a round-robin
fashion the first time an application attempts to send to a particular
destination that does not yet have an IRE cache entry.
See illgrp_scheduler() for details.

For servers expecting connections to be established from a client, will the IRE entry be set on the initial incoming datagram? Or the first outgoing? Tobias' setup suggests that some responses go out one interface, and others a different one.

Is this due to the fact that there are, based my expectation of the first part, multiple interfaces on the same subnet but not in an IPMP group, therefore not associated correctly.

I still don't understand the IRE behavior differences when IPMP is enable vs. when not. Even after having tried to make sense of it multiple times since IPMP was delivered.

Thanks
Steffen

--
meem