Begin forwarded message:

From: Michael OConnor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: June 13, 2006 3:22:42 PM PDT
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: Michael O'Connor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Serge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Global zone projects & local zones

All;

Customer asks - is it possible to configure the projects mechanism in the global zone to bind specific local zone processes associated with a specific UIDs to specific resource pools while other processes in these same local zones are bound to the default resource pool/pset? Idea is to have individual customers isolated into their own local zone but rather than binding the entire zone (and all its processes) to a single resource pool, only have specific processes within each zone bound to specific shared resource pools.

Attached graphic should help illustrate what I'm looking for.

Customer wants to minimize the number of zones he has to manage on a larger server and doesn't want to license both BEA and Oracle for the whole box. Customer has 3 classes of processes 1) Oracle, 2) BEA and 3) Other. If this scenario is not possible, he will need to create 3 unique zones for each customer and then bind each local zone to the respective resource pool which will drive up his management costs. Btw, our managed services group charges ~$120/month to manage each local zone which is part of what's driving this discussion.

>From what I've read, once we introduce local zones then we lose the ability to use the project mechanism to associate subsets of process within each local zone with different processor sets. Hoping this is not the case.

Thanks,

--michael

--

GIF image

Michael E. O'Connor
Engagement Architect
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
8880 Cal Center Drive, Suite 200
Sacramento, CA 95630 US
Phone x69479 / +1 415.762.2709
Mobile: 916.716.0361
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: www.sun.com

GIF image

<x-tad-smaller>This message sent using: Open Source </x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>Solaris 10 x86</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller> (01/06), OpenSolaris </x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>iwi driver</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>, Java Desktop System R3, </x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>Mozilla 1.7</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>PRIVACY & CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is intended for the named recipient(s) only, unless otherwise waived in writing by me. It may contain privileged and confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, forward or distribute. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify me immediately and destroy all copies of the original message. Have a nice day :)</x-tad-smaller>

GIF image