Apologies if this has been discussed before. A customer recently insisted that Zones are not supported/do not work if installed on a NAS device. Is this the case?

Booting a zone over NFS (namely where its root file system is on the
NAS device) is not supported at the current time.  There are um...
interesting workarounds like using lofi(7D) available, as Mike Gerdts
mentions.

Boot support over NFS is definitely something we want to support in the
future,

Just to make it clear though - a Solaris 10 system acting as a NAS
device can itself host its own non-global zones.  They just need to
boot off of local file systems on the system.

Hoping I haven't make the issue more confusing ;)

dsc