Wee Yeh Tan wrote:
I encounter a pretty perplexing issue with using ZFS dataset in zones
on S10u2 on a Sun x4100.

I set up my zone in a zfs filesystem (say pool/solarisC) and inherit
the dataset pool/solarisC/dataset.

The zone occassionally gives me:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# zfs create pool/solarisC/dataset

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# zfs list -r pool/solarisC
NAME                   USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
pool/solarisC         23.4M  35.7G  81.5M  /zones/solarisC
pool/solarisC/dataset  24.5K  35.7G  24.5K  /zones/solarisC/dataset

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# zoneadm -z solarisC boot
cannot verify zfs dataset pool/solarisC/dataset: mountpoint cannot be inherited
zoneadm: zone solarisC failed to verify

But if I set the mountpoint to something else and then back to
/zones/solarisC/dataset, the zone boots and gets the dataset.

The zonecfg is as follows:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# zonecfg -z solarisC info
zonepath: /zones/solarisC
autoboot: false
pool:
inherit-pkg-dir:
       dir: /lib
inherit-pkg-dir:
       dir: /platform
inherit-pkg-dir:
       dir: /sbin
inherit-pkg-dir:
       dir: /usr
inherit-pkg-dir:
       dir: /opt
net:
       address: 172.18.183.45
       physical: e1000g0
dataset:
       name: pool/solarisC/dataset

I wonder if I am doing anything wrong. Also, why the difference in behaviour?

I am not sure what the complete sequence of commands is
that you have run to cause this problem.  However, the basic issue
is that the mountpoint property cannot be inherited when you have
zfs datasets that are configured for use in a zone.  You can see
all of the properties, and their source, for your filesystem by running
"zfs get all pool/solarisC/dataset".  If the mountpoint property
shows as "inherited from XXX", then you cannot import that dataset
into the zone.

Jerry