Paul Kraus wrote:

On 7/31/06, Steffen Weiberle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Home directories are more problematic; you will need to loopback mount
> them into the local zones.

Is the underlying problem being worked on, or is it worth an RFE to make this transparent (automount
if remote, auto-lofs if local (not sure how to tell))?

How are they more problematic ??? I must be missing something here ?

        If the home directories are auto-mounted, then work just like
on a non-zoned system. NFS from remote servers is mounted via NFS, if
the global zone is the home directory server, then the NFS mount is
supposed to be converted into an LOFS mount (just as any auto-mount of
a server by itself is). I haven't tried this yet, as none of our zoned
systems are NFS server (yet), but home directory mounts from remote
servers into non-global zones works just fine.

There is no way for the non-global zone automounter to convert these automounts from NFS to LOFS. Firstly, there is no API for the non-global zone to determine that the NFS server is, in fact, the global zone sharing the same kernel. Secondly, even if it could make this determination, there is no way for the the NFS semantics to be turned into equivalent LOFS semantics because the exported pathname is outside of the non-global zone's root directory.

Since the non-global zone automounter is unaware and unable to do anything else, it will simply do an NFS mount. The problem is that CR 5065254 (NFS/UFS deadlock when system is both NFS server and client) is likely to cause a deadlock.

--Glenn