Jerry Jelinek wrote On 08/02/06 17:41,:
Steffen Weiberle wrote:

If anything like Jave ES applications (directory, web, app server, etc.) you need a full root zone to install into. I.e., remove all your inherit-pkg-dir parts.

Or, you may be able to use this technique from the zones FAQ if
you only need a writable subdirectory in /usr.

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zones/faq/#cfg_io_usrlocal

I've used this trick myself, but I believe some of the iPlanet stuff wants to put stuff into existing /usr directories, which can't easily be isolated as /usr/local can.

I have successfully used iPlanet's more recent decendent, 05Q4 Directory Server specifically, in a full root zone. 05Q4 is supported that way. I doubt iPlanet is support in a zone at all. But support may not be an issue in this case.

Jerry