> Greetings people,
>
> I was wondering if anyone here have some experience
> with mpxio and a storage array from a non-global
> zone?
>
> Today we are using Veritas for doing all kinds of
> magic with both disks and the array but with the
> arrival of ZFS, Zones etc we are now looking into the
> possibilities of migrating a few servers into a
> 'bigger' server with ZFS and Zones.
>
> What is the best way of installing a Zone? By sharing
> file systems as in 'sparse-root' model or use
> 'whole-root' model ?
>
> As i understand things. Solaris 10 has mpxio sort of
> 'on' by default. Is this only for the Global Zone
> itself or can i 'disable' this and use it only for
> let's say 2 non-global zones?

Are the non-global zones going to share the 2 paths? Or do you have 4 paths (2
paths/zone)?

If you have only 2 paths it is pointless to try to to use mpxio at the zone
level.

If you have 4 paths then you could assign a zfs pool per mpxio device, and
assign the filesystem for each zone to the different pool. This would be sheer
overkill. mpxio is at a very low level and presents the filesystem with 1
unified device. All fail-over and load balancing is done underneath this
device, therefore both ZFS and zones need not worry about it. The sysadmin is
the only person who needs to care :)

Making the switch from vertitas vm to mpxio/zfs is a smart move. I had made the
switch in the past after I did some testing and found out that performance wise
mpxio is better, and fail-over is instantaneous. Veritas had a much noteable
delay (no io) while it worked out what happend... The price for mpxio also
helps - FREE.

Doug