Hello Brian,

BK> With the performance boosts included in recent solaris versions I'm
BK> told that there's not much of a difference between handing the database
BK> raw devices vs. using a filesystem anymore.

BK> To test this out, my customer would like to try both ufs and vxfs
BK> filesystems in the global zone and lofs mount them to a local zone
BK> and test the database on that lofs mount.

BK> Are there any options that should be supplied for the lofs mount and
BK> are there any options for the ufs and/or vxfs mounts that should be
BK> employed to assure the performance should be close to raw devices?

1. lofs is probably a bad idea - mount them directly into a zone

2. with UFS mount with directio option, there's an equivalent
   for VxFS

3. ZFS could also be interesting with recordsize lowered to match db
   block size

Have you got any results you can share yet?

--
Best regards,
 Robert                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]