On 8/30/06, Philip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> in a whole root zone yes, in a shared zone, you will
> not be able to
> install software in inherrited directories because
> they are read-only.

I meant it in "-d" ;-) zone, so with independent file system

just don't see why to install the whole solaris in global zone if that would
run everything in non-global zones. or is there any advantage?

quoting  Enda o'Connor - Sun Microsystems Ireland from a concurrent thread.

Their are advantages to using only sparse root zones if at all possible.
1 They require less physical space.
2 Are easier to administer ( as the core directories can only be modifed
by the global zone admin )
    Quicker to patch/upgrade due to the shared dirs.
3 Require less VM, due to the shared libs in /usr only being loaded once
from the global zone and shared among the other sparse zones.. That is,
an app in the local zone will not need to load up shared libs from /usr
that are already loaded, it can just grab them as is if they are already
loaded. So less memory footprint.

So I'd advise you to use sparse root zones if at all possible. Only is
the app has to use these directories woudl you then use whole root zones.

James

thanks
-ph