I would like to get some questions answered in regards to patching a zoned Solaris 10 system with a recommended patch cluster and also point out a problem with the Zones FAQ web page.

In the Zones FAQ (http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zones/faq/), one finds

Q: How do I patch zones?
A: See the Patching and Packaging sections at docs.sun.com.

which goes to "http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-1592/6mhahuop7?a=view"

This link does not exist. Also the FAQ should say something more on patching than go to a link anyway.

Looking at some documenation from "Brendan Gregg". Great stuff by the way, Brendan.   I would like to verify that this what will happen when you install a recommended patch cluster on a zone Solaris 10 system and identify any issue that are not obvious.

There are three patching types: Patching a global zone, patching an inherited zone (small zone) and patching a standalone zone (big zone).

I have base my conclusions from Brendan's documentation and have several question I would like some answers.

Patch
Type Host

patchadd -G patchadd Questions
Global Zone
Installs only those patches that affect the global zone only, not the read-only filesystems of the zones. This includes any kernel patch.
Install all types of patches including kernel patches on both the global and all the local zones in their read-only file systems
Question 1: Do the local zones need to be shutdown to perform just a patchadd?
Question 2: Can the the local zones be running if you use patchadd -G.
Zone
(inherited)
small zone
N/A
Installs patches only on the local zone excluding kernel patches

Question 1: If a patch cluster contains a kernel patch, will the patchadd command ignore its installation.

Question 2: What are the issues with a big zone (no inherited filesystems) versus a shared zone when using patchadd?

Question 3: Does patchadd on inherited zone update the read-only filesystems (e.g. /sbin) or is this ignored in the patch process. Is this different with a "big zone".
Zone
(standalone)
big zone

--

Michael Barto
Software Architect

LogiQwest Circle
LogiQwest Inc.
16458 Bolsa Chica Street, # 15
Huntington Beach, CA  92649
http://www.logiqwest.com/

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:  714 377 3705
Fax: 714 840 3937
Cell: 714 883 1949

'tis a gift to be simple
This e-mail may contain LogiQwest proprietary information and should be treated as confidential.