> Can you describe how this software installs?  Does it install files to
> /usr/bin directly?

It splatters over several existing directories unter /usr, mainly /usr/bin,
/usr/share/man, /usr/lib and others.

> If so, then I'd argue that the software isn't
> really Solaris-compatible, let alone compatible with
> Zones.

I agree.

> See filesystem(5) -- non-OS software shouldn't be
> delivering to /usr/bin.

Good pointer! I've googled several times looking for some definition about
correct use of /usr, /opt, etc., but did not find much regarding solaris. Most
documents are about Linux' Filesystem Standard.
With this manpage originated by Sun we may get software vendor to fix their
software for beeing usable in local zones.