Mark,

Here's what my organisation did with zones.

We basically gave administrative privileges to the respective groups
to manage their own zones.  This turns out a lot cleaner since there
is less overlap of responsibility and really improved turnaroud time
launching new services.  So the groups are now creating their own
accounts and handling their own software/installs instead of bugging
the infrastructure guys to do the job (spends about the same time --
really).

Decisions on where to house what is also greatly simplified.  We used
to have n machines with m services, m >> n/2 and m is ever increasing.
We had to consider a lot of things like security, port conflicts,
etc.  Now, we simply have m zones.

I do think there is an overall saving at least on my side although I
really need to ask the guys from the other groups to know for sure.
At least they really enjoy the autonomy they are getting now.

--
Just me,
Wire ...