Sun Fire 3800

SunOS netd38 5.10 Generic_118833-24 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire

Can't boot a zone after it has been created.

I copied /etc/mnttab and /etc/vfstab and it could boot but still other essentials are missing such as the /etc/passwd.

NETD38 # zoneadm -z netd08 install
Preparing to install zone <netd08>. Creating list of files to copy from the global zone. Copying <2577> files to the zone. Initializing zone product registry. Determining zone package initialization order. Preparing to initialize <1058> packages on the zone. Initialized <1058> packages on zone. Zone <netd08> is initialized. Installation of these packages generated errors: <SUNWckr SUNWcsr SUNWcsd SUNWdtdmr SUNWkrbr SUNWib SUNWusb SUNWssad> Installation of <3> packages was skipped. Installation of these packages generated warnings: <SUNWpprou SUNWman SUNWfontconfig-docs SUNWperl-xml-parser-devel-share SUNWsfman> The file </zones/netd08/root/var/sadm/system/logs/install_log> contains a log of the zone installation. NETD38 # zoneadm -z netd08 boot zoneadm: zone 'netd08': mount of /etc/mnttab failed: No such file or directory zoneadm: zone 'netd08': call to zoneadmd failed NETD38 # zoneadm -z netd08 boot zoneadm: zone 'netd08': mount of /etc/mnttab failed: No such file or directory zoneadm: zone 'netd08': call to zoneadmd failed NETD38 # cp /zones/netd11/root/etc/mnttab /zones/netd08/root/etc/mnttab NETD38 # cp /zones/netd11/root/etc/vfstab /zones/netd08/root/etc/vfstab NETD38 # zoneadm -z netd08 boot

We were having problems with our Sun 4620 disk system and were told that if our system was patched above 118833-17 we would experience the problem we had. So we used updatemanager to backout 118833-xx patches but it only went to 118833-18 so we went back to 118833-23 and then did an installation of 118833-24 and still we can't create zones.

/zones/netd08/root/var/sadm/system/logs/install_log