Fair Share is based on count value kind of like a percentage but divided by the total. For you could use values 50, 25, 25 to meet your requirements which adds up to 100. But remember that the Global zone needs some cycle (the default is 1 for the global zone), so you should probably set up 49, 25, and 25.

See http://www.logiqwest.com/dataCenter/Demos/RunBooks/Zones/enableZoneFairShareCPUs.html which is some documentation that we are developing for setting up Fair Share in Solaris Zones.

Brian Kolaci wrote:
Jeff Victor wrote:
Brian Kolaci wrote:

I've been discussing about how to chop up a machine.  An possible example
configuration would have 8 cpus, 3 local zones.  They would possibly be
divided up as 50%, 25% and 25%.  Its clear how to do this with pools,
however FSS is a great fit for when a zone may need more CPU than whats
available in the pool/psrset.  The problem with FSS in this case is that
if one zone is mostly idle and all the other zones are busy, the zone
that is idle will get a load average much higher than its really using
which can skew the calculations use by the sendmail process to determine
if the queue/refuse connection thresholds are met.

How does FSS make that situation worse?  The misleading [1] load avg is not affected by FSS, which is merely enforcing the minimum CPU-power portions that you chose.  If they are inappropriate, prctl can be your friend. :-)

[1] "misleading" for this situation, not so for others.

I guess what I mean is that with FSS, people get the impression
that they are dividing the resources fairly among the zones but the
misleading load average tells processes that they're already using
all or more than their share already.  Agreed, its not really a problem
of FSS, but that the load averages reported in a zone do not reflect
what it actually is in the zone, but of the processor set it is associated
with.

Michael Barto
Software Architect

LogiQwest Circle
LogiQwest Inc.
16458 Bolsa Chica Street, # 15
Huntington Beach, CA  92649
http://www.logiqwest.com/

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:  714 377 3705
Fax: 714 840 3937
Cell: 714 883 1949

'tis a gift to be simple
This e-mail may contain LogiQwest proprietary information and should be treated as confidential.