Amol A Chiplunkar wrote:
You may want to add more information like you are creating
psets for each pool and the pset.max and pset.min of each.
Because when I create a pset without specifying them and associate it with a pool, the size is zero.

I thought when you were using a utilization goal instead of counting CPUs you should declare a max to be a really high, unrealistic number and the min to be 1. Is that not what you should do?

Also a correction. You cannot specify 50/100 shares. Shares are relative integer values and the absolute value of shares at any point of time can be calculated using total shares of of active entities competing for CPUs.

Yes, I know. But it's easier to follow the conversation instead of me putting 1 and 1 down or 6789 and 6789.

I would predict that the physical utilization of project_alpha in terms
of %CPUs (as shown by prstat) would be

(0.25 of poolsize of pool_1) * 100 / 16 i.e. if the pool_1 poolsize is 4, the physical utilization would be 6.25 %

That would mean I would have to know how many CPU are in the dynamic pool at any given time which I don't.

I expect that in order to have 50% utilization the objective will be set to ~50
value.
And pset.max will be set to a value more than 16.
In such a case, I would expect poold to try and give out as many cpus as
possible
to both the pools  since the utilization needs to be kept at around 50% while
the zones and projects are fully utilizing all the CPU cycles they get.

Yes, that is what I want at the pool level.

So at one point, poold should reach a static configuration with pool_default
with
only 1 CPU and the rest of them given to the two pools created.

So your saying the dynamic pool daemon with drive the box to a 16-1=15 then divide that by 2 and get 7.5 CPU bound to each pull. I just don't see why I need to care about counting threads (CPUs) when I already know the pool is using 50% of the box.

thanks
- Amol