Durga Deep wrote:
We have a machine that has 2GB of physical memory ( source prtconf ).

When I create zones (say 4), how does the physical memory of the machine get
impacted ?. Is  there a performance hit ?. Please share your responses.

_DD
Durga,

Zones don't require dedicated RAM. Processes in zones compete for RAM much as do in a non-zoned environment. There's a small memory footprint, but it's not a major item. See http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zones/faq/ which has discussion of this and other topics you may find helpful. In particular, from Section 2:

"Q: How "big" is a zone?
A: If configured with default parameters, a zone requires about 85MB of free disk space per zone when the global zone has been installed with the "All" metacluster of Solaris packages. Additional packages installed in the global zone will require additional space in the non-global zones. SVM soft partitions can be used to divide disk slices and enforce per-zone disk space constraints. When performing capacity planning, 40MB of additional RAM per zone is suggested. Applications do not use any "extra" RAM because they are running in a zone."

regards, Jeff