UPDATE:
It turns out that the problem exists because of SSH.  We currently remove Sun's
SSH packages, and install SSH.com's SSH Tectia Server 4.3 package on the
servers.  We tried the following troubleshooting procedures:

1.) Telnet to the server, shutdown ssh and ssh-certd, configure/install the
zone, and restart ssh and ssh-certd.
2.) Telnet to the server, shutdown ssh and ssh-certd, kill any remaining ssh
processes, configure/install the zone, and restart ssh and ssh-certd.
3.) Turn off logging in syslog.conf for ssh, restarted system-log service,
configure/install the zone.

All of these tests resulted in the same problem with the
/zones/<zonename>/root/var still being mounted.  What we decided to do was to
uninstall the SSH.com's SSH package and reinstall Sun's OpenSSH package.  Once
we configured Sun's SSH and reinstalled the zone, everything worked the way it
is supposed to.

We're not entirely sure what is causing this issue, but any insight on the
matter would be greatly appreciated.  At this point, we are slightly concerned
with replacing SSH.com's SSH server with the open source OpenSSH, and are
looking to find a fix to the issue in order to continue using SSH.com's SSH
server.

Thanks,
Jay Morrison
UNIX System Administrator