This feature is not supported with standard Solaris. It is only supported in Trusted Extensions. There are at least two problems in standard Solaris. As you pointed out, the NFS sharing should not take place until the zone is booted, and it should be unshared when the zone is halted. TX does the share and unshare operations automatically at the right time (within zoneadmd). TX maintains separate dftstab files for each zone.

Secondly, the pathname, e.g. /zones/myzone, is not searchable except by root.. So anything that was exported would not be available anyway. This is also fixed in TX by special casing the zonepath permissions for NFS.

--Glenn

Tillman, Gregory wrote:

I understand that NFS-exports need to be done in the global zone, so I
dutifully added:

share -F nfs -o ro=stats.lmig.com /zones/myzone/root/logdir

to /etc/dfs/dfstab of my global zone.

But when the master system rebooted, the NFS export happened before the
local zone could boot.  So the zone could not mount this filesystem,
because the mount point was busy, and the zone boot failed.  The problem
may also occur with a simple reboot of the local zone, I haven't tried
that yet.

This must be a common problem, so I wondered if there is a recommended
solution.

Thanks