That would be a bug.  ;-( Thank you for catching it!

I made a change for compatibility and neglected to add back
the hardening_args cases for lock and unlock.  While addressing
that bug I noticed that the compatibility mode with version 1.7
was still not complete for service hardening as well.  For
compatibility with 1.7 you should also be able to use the following
syntax as well:

# zonemgr -a modify -n mini1 -s lock

I have submitted these two items as bugs and fixed them in 1.8.1
which is now uploaded in beta mode.  You can download it here:
http://opensolaris.org/os/project/zonemgr/files/zonemgr-1.8.1.txt

Regards,
Brad