[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> All,
>
> I have a customer asking this question:
> This might seem like a very basic question but now that I have the
> global zone with two local zones created how do I associate hostnames to
> the zone virtual IP addresses?
>
> I would think that the answer would be to populate dns for hosts
> trying to contact this host.
>
> but what about the local system?
> Should you add the virtual IP hostnames to the global zone /etc/hosts
> file or the /etc/hosts file in the zone itself?

Name resolution is a purely user-space matter.  It's controlled by
/etc/nsswitch.conf (yes, inside the zone as well), and if you use
'files' as one of your name resolution methods, and if you care to
manage your name-to-address mapping directly in local files, then,
sure, adding entries there is a fine thing to do.

There are other possible choices.

The global zone's /etc/nsswitch.conf and associated configuration
files are inaccessible from within a non-global zone, and thus have no
effect there.

I think things may be different in TX zones, though.