hi Luke,

[0] The only exception is that the kernel NFS server module can't hop from one filesystem to another, so if /export and /export/home are two different partitions, then if you mount /export on a remote-client machine, /export/home appears to be empty. A userspace NFS server-daemon wouldn't necessarily have this limitation,

As an aside, note that this limitation is a facet of our existing NFSv4 implementation, and not anything to do with the NFSv4 protocol itself.

This functionality, the ability to transparently cross server filesystem boundaries (known as mirror-mounts), *is* supported by the NFSv4 protocol (i.e. NFSv4.0).

I have basic support for this working, and once it's cleaned up and extended a little, will hope to be putting it back into our Nevada NFS client later this year.

cheers,
calum.