When is it necessary to patch whole root zones directly?

I was trying to make sure that I had all of my zones ready to be updated with
DST patch 122034-04 so I made sure to install patch utilities patch 119254-34
on all of the global zones. I never thought to install it on the whole root
zones separately.

However, after applying kernel patch 118833-36 and the DST 122034-04 patch
yesterday, I find that although all of the sparse zones show 118833-36 as being
applied, none of the whole root zones do.

In checking out possible reasons, I looked to make sure that 119254-34 was
installed in the whole root zones and found that it was not. I'm guessing that
is why 118833-36 doesn't show as installed (and in fact doesn't appear to have
been installed in the whole root zones based on missing changes in a script in
/lib/svc/method). However, 122034-04 applied fine to both whole and sparse
zones and shows up correctly with showrev -p commands.

What am I missing?

TIA,
Phil