Hi Adam,

Following on from Jeff's comments below, one of the great aspects of Solaris 10 Containers is that the resource management features can be applied and administered dynamically. So in the example of a web hosting scenario, you could show how system resources can be increased and decreased on demand between different hosting sites to satisfy customer resource requirements. Further to this, you could talk about how these resources could be charged back to a customer based upon actual usage, much like utility computing.

HTH,

Simon.

Jeff Savit wrote:
Hi Adam,

What might be a nice project, that would work on a modest hardware resource :-) would be to demonstrate how you can use containers to host multiple application environments with different contents. For example: configure a bunch of sparse root zones (to best use disk space) with Apache in each, and demonstrate how each container has different IP address and web content. That would be like a hosting company scenario. You could use web load generating tools to demonstrate that you can spray web hits to different zones on the same box. You could even have the web document directory added to a zone in read-only status to demonstrate how zones can be used to prevent web sites from being defaced.

The resource administration parts aren't that difficult to apply - perhaps you could then show simple things like giving one zone twice the CPU shares of another zone, and run CPU hog programs in each to demonstrate that the zones get proportional CPU access.

These are just simple, broad ideas - it's only limited by imagination. Bear in mind, of course that the Ultra 10 is an old machine, so one mustn't expect blazing performance from it. I have similar at home, and it's perfectly acceptable for testing and playing with zones. Also, remember that Solaris Containers run wherever Solaris 10 runs, so you could do this on an Intel or AMD-based PC too.

hope this helps, Jeff

Adam Luzecki wrote:

Hello forum users,

I am finishing computer science studies this year and I need to create thesis. I'm interested in Solaris containers and would like to describe this technology. I want to create a project that uses containers to do “something useful” and provides some functionality, not only shows how to create zones and assign resources.

I have an Ultra 10 with Ultra Sparc IIi 300MHz CPU , 512 MB RAM and 20 GB HDD available. Does someone have any idea how to show practical use of containers on such machine?

Other solution I think about is just to design containers without implementation, so I would not need any hardware. But unfortunately I do not have administration experience to decide about resource allocation.

Could you please advice if you have any ideas about using containers on Ultra 10, or if you can provide any other suggestions for using Containers in practice.

Many thanks,
Adam

<http://www.sun.com/solaris>      * Simon Redmill *
Datacentre Architect