When I telnet to any non-listening port on a global zone, I get connection
refused. When I telnet to any non-listening port on a local zone that has a
virtual address on the same NIC as the global zone, I get connection refused.
When I telnet to any non-listening port on a local zone that has a virtual
address on an alternate NIC that is on a different physical network, I get no
response and have to wait for a long timeout. Performing a telnet to a port
that has a service listening responds normally. I have been able to recreate
this problem on multiple servers, different hardware platforms (280R, T2000).

Oracle Application server requires being able to verify ports that are not in
use.

Any idea why I don't get connection refused only on zones on alternate NICs?
Any way to change this?