James,

James Carlson wrote:
Jerry Jelinek writes:
     to upgrade to.  Pkg operations on pkgs with the SUNW_ALLZONES attribute
     set must be run from the global zone, the operation will be performed on
     all native zones, and this behavior is built-in to the pkg commands.

This document describes in detail how the packaging bits will be taken
care of.  But how are patches re-run to update the zone on attach?  We
don't have copies of the patch metadata (the scripts) around in usable
form, do we?  Do we just 'assume' that those patches never do anything
useful to any non-global zone?

The patch bits are handled in the same way that they are currently handled
for a freshly installed zone.  That is, those changes are already merged
into the bits as well as the spooled pkg data that we have in the global
zone.  When we install a new zone the bits from the global zone are copied
into the zone and the spooled pkg is used to update the editable
and volatile files as well as the metadata for the pkg that is stored in
the zone.

     commands.  Those commands were formerly part of the ON consolidation but
     moved to the Install consolidation as part of [5].  That case documents man
     pages for pkgremove and pkginstall but no such man pages exist.  No
     stability level is documented for these two commands so we're assuming
     these are consolidation private and a contract is needed to directly use
     these commands.  The command line options being used are:

Indeed; they're private implementation details of the Install
consolidation.

One alternative would be to modify pkgadd/pkgrm (or deliver new bits
from Install) to expose the features you need.  I assume that the
reason you're not doing this is that delivery of Install updates on
which this new feature depends would be more difficult.  Is that
right?

Yes, thats right.  Plus, I am hoping this is a relatively short-term
solution and that as the longer term caiman project evolves this
kind of feature will move back into the core install capability.

Thanks,
Jerry