Hi all,
Thank you for getting back to me.  Tto answer your questions.

1  I was the one who tried to inherit /var.  (there was not script involved).
The reason I did this was that we had patching problems on our last try of
installing zones.  (see below)
bash-3.00# /usr/sbin/pkgrm CSWcups
## Verifying package <CSWcups> dependencies in zone <CIS2>
pkgrm: ERROR: unable to change current working directory to
</var/sadm/pkg/CSWcups/install>

The following package is currently installed:
   CSWcups  cups - The Common UNIX Printing System
            (all) 1.2.4,REV=2006.10.09

Do you want to remove this package? [y,n,?,q] y
## Removing package <CSWcups> from zone <CIS2>
pkgrm: ERROR: unable to change current working directory to
</var/sadm/pkg/CSWcups/install>

Removal of <CSWcups> on zone <CIS2> failed (internal error).
No changes were made to the system.

## Removing installed package instance <CSWcups>
## Processing package information.
## Removing pathnames in class <none>
## Updating system information.

Removal of <CSWcups> was successful.
Since the error was associated with the zone and with /var I decided to try to
inherit /var
the next time I got to play with zones.  Thank you all for the update on /var
I will drop that from the configuration.

2  Regarding the create -b
This seems to be a feature of the export command within zonecfg.  I am not
typing in 'create -b' into the configuration.  (see below)
bash-3.00# zonecfg -z CIS2
CIS2: No such zone configured
Use 'create' to begin configuring a new zone.
zonecfg:CIS2> create
zonecfg:CIS2> export
create -b
set autoboot=false
add inherit-pkg-dir
set dir=/lib
end
add inherit-pkg-dir
set dir=/platform
end
add inherit-pkg-dir
set dir=/sbin
end
add inherit-pkg-dir
set dir=/usr
end
zonecfg:CIS2> set autoboot=true
zonecfg:CIS2> set zonepath=/zones/CIS2
zonecfg:CIS2> add inherit-pkg-dir
zonecfg:CIS2:inherit-pkg-dir> set dir=/opt
zonecfg:CIS2:inherit-pkg-dir> end
zonecfg:CIS2> add inherit-pkg-dir
zonecfg:CIS2:inherit-pkg-dir> set dir=/var
zonecfg:CIS2:inherit-pkg-dir> end
zonecfg:CIS2> export
create -b
...etc...
I had gotten this procedure from a Big Admin Feature article located at
http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features/articles/solaris_zones.html
As I said, I'm not typing 'create -b' this seems to be a feature of the export
command within zonecfg.  I'm guessing the way to avoid the '-b' is to just type
it in by hand, or, export the file, edit the file, and use that file as a
template.
I'll drop /var and try that.  Thanks again.
Phil