James Carlson wrote:
Jeff Victor writes:

It seems that someone decided that IP Instances satisfied this need completely. We may need a new CR: "a shared-ip zone should be able to be a DHCP client."

Indeed.  That's what at least some of the customers asking for this
feature wanted -- shared-IP stack, DHCP addressing for zones.

As of the integration of CR 6386331 (also, coincidentally, in build
57), this ought to be fairly straightforward.

Looking at 5005887 some more

"Note that with the putback of PSARC/2004/522 into s10_63, the dhcpagent now supports configuration of logical interfaces, which would seem to meet the modification proposed in the description."

So it seems zoneadm (and maybe zoneadmd) still require some additional work. The related CRs did not point in such a direction.

# cat /etc/motd
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.11      snv_64  October 2007
# ifconfig e1000g0:1 plumb
# ifconfig e1000g0:1 auto-dhcp
# ifconfig e1000g0:1
e1000g0:1: flags=201004843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,DHCP,IPv4,CoS> mtu 1500 index 2 inet 192.168.53.165 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.53.255
#

While we're here, with VNICs, will we be able to do:

set ip-type=exclusive
add net
set physical=vnic0
end

and then specify dhcp in sysidcfg, the way we can with exclusive-ip?

I don't see why that's a special case ...

I think it is not, and does not require VNICs, just IP Instances. But VNICs allows that with one NIC.

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/crossbow/faq/#ipinst_dhcpclient