James Carlson wrote:
Steffen Weiberle writes:

Looking at 5005887 some more

"Note that with the putback of PSARC/2004/522 into s10_63, the dhcpagent now supports configuration of logical interfaces, which would seem to meet the modification proposed in the description."

That's a pretty old note.  The 2004/522 support for logical interfaces

And now I notice it is s10_63, not snv_63 :)

required the user to come up with client IDs for each logical
interface.  That would make it somewhat hard to use with Zones.

The code that I added for CR 6386331 upgrades that existing logical
interface support so that you don't have to forge up your own client
IDs manually.  That makes it ideal for use with Zones.

So it seems zoneadm (and maybe zoneadmd) still require some additional work. The related CRs did not point in such a direction.

The part that's missing is allowing DHCP to be configured in zonecfg

The zonecfg part works.

and correctly handled by zoneadmd.  I don't see how zoneadm itself
could be at all involved.

zoneadm's verification fails. who does the work to 'ifconfig addif' on behalf of a non-global zone when the IP address is set? Is that not zoneadm*? It can't be the zone itself, since it does not have the privileges.

# zonecfg -z zone1
zone1: No such zone configured
Use 'create' to begin configuring a new zone.
zonecfg:zone1> create
zonecfg:zone1> set zonepath=/localzones/zone1
zonecfg:zone1> add net
zonecfg:zone1:net> set physical=e1000g0
zonecfg:zone1:net> set address=dhcp
zonecfg:zone1:net> end
zonecfg:zone1> verify
zonecfg:zone1> exit
# zoneadm -z zone1 install
could not verify net address=dhcp physical=e1000g0
        Neither an IPv4 nor an IPv6 address nor a host name
zoneadm: zone zone1 failed to verify

# ifconfig e1000g0:1 plumb
# ifconfig e1000g0:1 auto-dhcp

You're looking at the result of CR 6386331 here.

I don't see why that's a special case ...

I think it is not, and does not require VNICs, just IP Instances. But VNICs allows that with one NIC.

I see.  I think that just pushes the issue elsewhere, as you have to
deal with (potentially) very large numbers of MAC addresses.

Is the concern about DHCP handling that? With hardware rings and
soft MAC, the number of MAC addresses is going to get large. And
it may be necessary to be able to fully utilize 10GbE interfaces and
still offer virtualization, flow management, etc.

Steffen