To follow up, it's the setproject() call in particular that's having the
problem within a zone when any project.x rctl is on the project.  In code, I
can use setrctl() just fine but code like:

        pj = getdefaultproj("mark", &proj, pjbuffer, PROJECT_BUFSZ);
        spjerr = setproject(pj->pj_name, "mark", TASK_NORMAL);
        if (spjerr != 0) {
                printf("setproject() failed: %d, pj_name: %s\n", spjerr,
pj->pj_name);
                 exit(109);
        } else
                printf("setproject() succeeded: %d, pj_name: %s\n", spjerr,
pj->pj_name);

will always return with an integer pointing to the first rctl with a
project.whatever value:

      setproject() failed: 2, pj_name: group.staff

The first rctl in this case was a process.max-address-space, and everything
works normally with just process.x rctls.

I guess my next step is to see what's changed in setproject() since b56 that
might be responsible, and go from there. I've cc'ed zones-discuss since the
problem only happens within a local zone.

-Mark