> I just installed a local zone with a different IP subnet and different
 > netmask than its global zone. There is no default route shown with
 > netstat -r. In a local zone which is in the same subnet / netmask as
 > its globsl zone, there is a default route.
 >
 > So, the question is, can this be done or must a LZ be in the same
 > subnet as the GZ?

I think the Zones FAQ indirectly answers this:

  Q: How do I configure a default route in a container?

  A: All routes, including default routes, must be configured by the global
     zone administrator. Although a default route cannot be assigned directly
     to a Container, a default route can be assigned to each subnet. All zones
     on one subnet will then use the same default route. [July 2006]

--
meem