Again, maybe something so basic that everyone knows it, but I don't see any
reason why you can't run zones on a system under the FSS, for some pretty
functional load balancing, without having to create and associate pools.  Just
configure your zone.cpu-shares in each zone, enable the FSS in the GZ, and
that's it.  I put a load on each zone and verified with "prstat -Z", and it
works as expected.

Yet every example I've come across so far, including
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/howtoguides/containersLowRes.jsp
http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/Zones_Resource_Controls#Test_FSS
makes it look like it's necessary to set up and associate pools with each zone.

Granted, this is a fairly coarse control, and just ensures that each zone gets
its fair share, not apps within each zone.  But for something like my immediate
needs, like creating dev sandboxes where each engineer gets his own zone, or
putting a couple different app/web servers on a box, isn't the approach above
sufficient?  Or am I once again too green at this to see the obvious reason why
all the examples include pool setup?