Hi all,

One of our partners who develops a PLM software (using OpenGL and 3D accelerator cards), asked me a couple of tricky questions concerning Solaris zones.

First of all, we agree that Solaris zones (by extension the containers) are really useful on the server side, for consolidation means. However does it really make sense to use zones on a graphical workstation ? What benefit would there be there ? (The only one I can see is to have two different versions of a software on the same workstation)

Now the tricky questions:

   * In case of the sparse root zone many libraries are shared between
     all the zones. What about the X11 libraries, colormap, pixmap ans
     so on ?
   * And in Whole Root Zones, do we get a different  X server for each
     zone ?
   * Finally, lets say each zone has it's own X server, how can
     dirrerent zones deal with the 3D graphic card on the workstation
     (the XVR 2500 card for example) ?

     Putting it in other words, zones allow application to run in
     protected environments, knowing nothing of other zones, each one
     acting as if they are alones on the hardware. Can we guaranty this
     behavior also for 3D graphical applications (two zones running
     seamlessly different 3D applications, sharing the 3D card)

Any help would be appreciated
Regards

Amir