Amir Javanshir writes:
> First of all, we agree that Solaris zones (by extension the containers)
> are really useful on the server side, for consolidation means. However
> does it really make sense to use zones on a graphical workstation ? What
> benefit would there be there ? (The only one I can see is to have two
> different versions of a software on the same workstation)

It also provides the opportunity to run servers in those other zones
-- isolated from the local workstation usage -- and perhaps allow for
certain kinds of software testing.

>     * In case of the sparse root zone many libraries are shared between
>       all the zones. What about the X11 libraries, colormap, pixmap ans
>       so on ?

Yes.  Everything under /lib, /platform, /usr, and /sbin.

>     * And in Whole Root Zones, do we get a different  X server for each
>       zone ?

You may.  The hard part, though, will be with the devices and
permissions required inside the non-global zone.

>     * Finally, lets say each zone has it's own X server, how can
>       dirrerent zones deal with the 3D graphic card on the workstation
>       (the XVR 2500 card for example) ?

I think you'll need to ask the folks who support those cards what
provisions they've made for non-global zone operation.

My guess would be that it's impossible to run any of those cards in a
non-global zone, because it requires permissions that exceed what
non-global zones may have.  Just a guess, though, and it depends on
the individual products, not on the Zones feature itself.