Okay, changing the setting in setupCmdLine.sh to
ITP_LOC=/opt/WebSphere61/Profiles/dmgr/deploytool/itp
and copying the contents op /opt/WebSphere61/AppServer/deploytool/itp to this
directory SOLVED the problem. (Ofcourse had to restart dmgr to update the
environment variable).

The deployment tool is now able to write its temporary files succesfully:
[8/28/07 16:10:17:922 CEST] 0000005d DeployEJBTask I   ADMA0158I: [EJBDeploy]
framework search path: /opt/WebSphere61/Profiles/dmgr/deploytool/itp/plugins

Any way I still wonder what settings needs to be altered in the
wasprofile.properties files to get this setting initially correct. After all I
did change the vars as stated in the white paper (on
http://www.sun.com/software/whitepapers/solaris10/websphere6_sol10.pdf)

For this moment I am very happy with this setup!