On Fri 07 Sep 2007 at 11:53AM, Ril wrote:
> I posted this query to the ZFS discussion forum, but got no replies --
> perhaps this is more of question about zones than zfs:
> I followed the procedure to add a ZFS dataset to a non-global, whole-root
> zone as a delegated dataset as described in the ZFS Admin Guide, page 129.
> What is the proper way to remove it? I tried the following:
> >From the global zone:
> 1) halt the zone
> 2) use zonecfg to remove the dataset
> 3) boot the zone
> When I logged back into the zone, the mount point was still present, but now
> under /, but the files were gone, and they weren't present in the pool on the
> global zone, either.
> Is this the correct procedure to remove a ZFS file system from a non-global
> zone? Is there anyway to do this without losing the data in the file system?

I don't think your data is actually gone.  When zfs filesystems get
handed out to non-global zones, a special "bit" is set on the
filesystem, in the form of a zfs property called "zoned".  Here
is what the man page says:

     After a dataset is  delegated  to  a  non-global  zone,  the
     "zoned"  property  is automatically set. A zoned file system
     cannot be  mounted  in  the  global  zone,  since  the  zone
     administrator  might have to set the mount point to an unac-
     ceptable value.

     The global administrator can forcibly clear the "zoned" pro-
     perty,  though  this  should  be done with extreme care. The
     global administrator should verify that all the mount points
     are acceptable before clearing the property.

I hope that helps,