Clay,

Samething when you withdraw a tire off your Cadillac, because it had a flat tire and needs fixing.
I do agree, you can't drive the car but still its a Cadillac  ! :-)

As far as zones on ZFS file systems, you will have to face some patching and upgrade problems. That has been known for sometime, check http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/faq/#zfsboot

Ihsan