mario heimel wrote:
> Hello,
> Congratulations on a job well done.
> when i read the details, i think we need a solaris 10 branded zone.
> with a branded zone the central patching from the global zone is not applied.
> there is no SUNW_PKG_ALLZONES package for a branded zone (linux, solaris8),
> without this package and patch dependencies between global and non-global
> zones you can move/migrate a branded zone to other system everytime ( the
> patch/pkg content must not be in sync).
> the only requirement to host a solaris8 brand on a new system is a KU patch
> and the two new packages.
> what do you think about a solaris 10 branded zone ?

While it would be possible to do this, it is in some sense
harder than it was for S8.  S10 is still a very dynamic
release so the interpositioning layer would need constant
work to cope with the on-going changes in the
kernel/user-land boundary.

As far as easily moving a zone around, take a look at

6480464 RFE: zoneadm attach should patch/update the zone to
         the new hosts level

Now that the S8MA project is done I am planning to get back
to this RFE.  This is a much more straightforward solution
to the problem than a new brand.