Erik Vanden Meersch wrote:
> Jerry
> A question that I repeatedly get from customers is directly
> related to what you write:
>> S10 is still a very dynamic
>> release so the interpositioning layer would need constant
>> work to cope with the on-going changes in the
>> kernel/user-land boundary.
> Is this interface not limited to a fixed set of system calls? And maybe the
> definition of what is in /proc and other virtual file systems?
> But I always believed that  these interfaces are documented and
> compatible from release to release.  How can this keep zones  from
> moving freely, whatever their patch level and update release?
> Grateful for any ray of light you can shine on this

The way Solaris is architected the stable interfaces are at
the user-level library level, not at the system call trap
level.  With a branded zone you are using old user-level libraries
(e.g. libc) that are trapping into the kernel but the kernel
trap interface may have changed.  With a branded zone we have
an interposition layer that enables us to modify the way
things are being passed between the library and kernel so that
the old libraries can work with the new kernel.