Thanks Bob, this helped me get a few steps closer!

I was able to install debian without any errors.
But it hangs when I try to boot it.

It says it was unable to mount the root filesystem..
/etc/fstab looked similar to the one in a centos zone.

I thought ok, let's have a look at a installed cent os and see how it's configured there:

bash-2.05b# df -h
none                   67G   42G   24G  64% /
bash-2.05b# fdisk -l
bash-2.05b# mount
none on / type ufs (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
bash-2.05b# more /etc/fstab
none            /                       ufs     defaults        1 1
none            /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0

seems weird to me but it works? (ufs on linux?)
And compared to the config in debian, it's the same. So it should work there too, right?

Nils, what do you mean by 'older' debian versions?
I used the latest stable netinst iso.. 4.0 release 1

On the kernel 2.6 page they write about ubuntu working in a zone (with some problems), which is based on debian.
That's why I think debian should work as well..

I'll try to install ubuntu tomorrow and see how that's configured and all.

Thanks for your help!