Can someone  pls comment if it is a recommended practice to create a
non-global zone such that its zoneroot is same as an existing
mountpoint. I tried using LU with a non-global zone which has the
zoneroot as the mountpoint.

# zonecfg -z zone1 info
zonename: zone1
zonepath: /zones/zone1

# df -h /zones/zone1
Filesystem             size   used  avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s4      3.7G   163M   3.5G     5%    /zones/zone1

at this point, when creating the BE, you can either specify an
explicit mountpoint for this same filesystem, or not, ie:

# lucreate -n newbe -m /:c1t0d0s5:ufs

# lucreate -n newbe -m /:c1t0d0s5:ufs -m /zones/zone1:c1t0d0s6:ufs

in the 1st case, the zoneroot will be merged back into /.

(before luupgrade):

/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s5       11G    10G   591M    95%    /a
/zones/zone1           3.7G   163M   3.5G     5%    /a/zones/zone1
swap                   2.1G     8K   2.1G     1%    /a/var/run
swap                   2.1G     0K   2.1G     0%    /a/tmp
swap                   2.1G     8K   2.1G     1%    /a/zones/zone1-newbe/lu

# cd /a/zones
# ls
zone1        zone1-newbe
# cd zone1-newbe
# df -h .
Filesystem             size   used  avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s5       11G   8.8G   1.9G    82%    /a

(The file system shouldn't have been /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s5 ). So lucreate is
failing to share the file system with the mountpoint /zones/zone1 (also
the zoneroot for zone1) into the new be. lucreate is however successful !!

this is fine at this point.  but luupgrade fails:

WARNING: <902> packages failed to install properly on boot environment
INFORMATION: The file </var/sadm/system/data/upgrade_failed_pkgadds> on
boot environment <newbe> contains a list of packages that failed to
upgrade or install properly.
The Solaris upgrade of the boot environment <newbe> is partially complete.

The packages fail with the following error:

Starting upgrade:
Removing obsolete packages and saving modified files

Removing package SUNWcsu:

Removal of <SUNWcsu> from zone <SUNWlu-zone1> partially failed.

Removal of <SUNWcsu> was successful.
pkgrm return code = 2
Doing pkgadd of SUNWcsu to /
pkgadd: ERROR: unable to remove file
Wcsu>: No such file or directory
pkgadd: ERROR: unable to unpack package <SUNWcsu> from stream
into directory </var/tmp//installsxaaDF/dstreAAAtxaaDF>
27450 blocks

Installation of <SUNWcsu> was successful.

The scenario is that each zone has a dedicated filesystem.  that
filesystem is on shared
VxVM SAN storage, and is mounted at the zoneroot.

We need to determine if creating a non-global zone with the above
configuration a recommended practice. If so, then we have a bug in LU
which need to be fixed. However, if such zone configuration is not
recommended, can someone pls point me to a document which _does_ state
about this fact and what are the possible problems with such

Best Regards