I don't see that reference in the Sun "What's New Solaris 10 8/07" Release:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-0547/6mgbdbsoa?l=en&a=view&q=ip+instances

"IP Instances: LAN and VLAN Separation for Non-Global Zones
IP networking can now be configured in two different ways, depending on whether
the zone is given is assigned an exclusive IP instance or shares the IP layer
configuration and state with the global zone. IP types are configured by using
the zonecfg command.

The shared-IP type is the default. These zones connect to the same VLANs or
same LANs as the global zone and share the IP layer. lx branded zones are
configured as Shared-IP zones. For more information, see lx Branded Zones:
Solaris Containers for Linux Applications.

Full IP-level functionality is available in an exclusive-IP zone. If a zone
must be isolated at the IP layer on the network, then the zone can have an
exclusive IP. The exclusive-IP zone can be used to consolidate applications
that must communicate on different subnets that are on different VLANs or
different LANs.

For more information, see the following:

zonecfg(1M) man page

zones(5) man page

System Administration Guide: Solaris Containers-Resource Management and Solaris
Zones

For configuration information, see Chapter 17, Non-Global Zone Configuration
(Overview), in System Administration Guide: Solaris Containers-Resource
Management and Solaris Zones and Chapter 18, Planning and Configuring
Non-Global Zones (Tasks), in System Administration Guide: Solaris
Containers-Resource Management and Solaris Zones.

For information on feature components, see Chapter 26, Solaris Zones
Administration (Overview), in System Administration Guide: Solaris
Containers-Resource Management and Solaris Zones and Chapter 27, Solaris Zones
Administration (Tasks), in System Administration Guide: Solaris

Robert Smicinski writes:
> We have the same problem, none of our interfaces show up on ce's, bge's,
> qfe's or ge's on sparc.
> It does work on one of our x86 machines though.  Maybe it's related to sparc?

It's not SPARC that's the problem.  The problem is that the IP
Instances feature ("exclusive-ip") currently supports only GLDv3
interfaces.  Any interface implemented using GLDv3 will work,
regardless of platform.

ce, qfe, and ge are (or at least _were_) monolithic DLPI designs, not
GLD-based.

It's also pretty important to know that version matters here, so
describe the system you're using.  Quite a few changes have gone into
OpenSolaris-based distributions that haven't gotten back (and may
never get back) to S10.